The Suunto M series (M1, M2, M4, M5) of heart rate monitor watches falls into the fitness and cross-training category of sports watches. These watches are for athletes just coming into fitness training, or those that want just the basic heart rate features in a fitness watch. The watches are designed for gym, spinning, and general cardio workouts.
There are 4 watches in the M line; the M1, M2, M4 and M5. This review covers all four watches, since they have similar features. The M1 is the entry model in the line, and the M5 is the top end of the M line. To start off, we are going to first cover the features that are common to the all of the watches, and towards the end of the review we will cover the differences between the three models.
- 3 adjustable heart rate zones
- Turn sounds on/off
- View workout summary, including starting time, date, duration of workout, percentage of time in each zone, calories burned, average heart rate, and peak heart rate
- ANT compatible
- Comes with the basic heart rate monitor strap, which is compatible with most gym cardio equipment
- All of the features of the M1, but it comes with the dual comfort heart rate monitor strap instead of the basic HRM. The dual comfort HRM strap is compatible with most gym cardio equipment and Suunto Fitness Solution.
- All of the features of the M1, plus
- display backlight
- Pressing the middle button during exercise displays duration, HR, average heart rate, calories burned, HR zone, and time.
- Guided Exercise, which displays an up or down arrow to tell the user to increase or decrease intensity.
- The watch has a fitness test to evaluate your fitness level. The test is set up to take place on a known 1 mile distance, like a 400 meter track. After taking the Guided Exercise, the watch will offer a long term workout plan with a seven day overview, and grades your fitness level.
- The watch saves the number and duration of all exercises, exercise duration and calories burned over the last 4 weeks, percentage completed from the weekly and monthly targets, previous fitness test date and results, and graph of the previous 7 fitness test results
- Transfer your recorded logs to your computer using the optional Suunto PC POD of Suunto Movestick. You can store and view your workouts online at movescount.com.
- Comes with the dual comfort heart rate monitor strap instead of the basic HRM. The dual comfort HRM strap is compatible with most gym cardio equipment and Suunto Fitness Solution.
- Download any workout from MovesCount.com with the optional Movestick
- Track speed & distance (with optional Suunto Foot POD, Bike POD and GPS POD)
Here is a video showing how to use the M series watches to perform a basic heart rate workout:
Here is a video of how to check the suggestion of the next workout on the M4 and M5
And here is a video on how to view the exercise summary on the M4 and M5